here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Maya Road and Ranger...a tiny tutorial...

For anyone who has visited here before...you know how much I LOVE Maya Road's Trinkets Blossoms metal flowers. I could use them on every project I make...

HOWEVER...I don't want everything I make to look the same.
So...since the Bears have a day off...and it's too bloody cold to put even a toe outside... ( I CAN NOT WAIT to get to Frenzy Stamper in WARMMMM ARIZONA!)

I did a little experiment and a photo shoot for you...

Here's the start...



The next photo shows the metal flower naked (on top)
and after I added some rust and slate alcohol inks...


Here's another with denim & pesto...BTW...these can be stamped on after the alcohol ink is dry...hmmm...I think I'll show you that below...........

Then my brain turned on...YIPPEE!
I had a project that really NEEDED a dimensional silver flower. But too bad Ranger doesn't make silver alcohol ink...
*
DUH...the light bulb goes on...
*
How about the SILVER MIXATIVE?? Would that work the same???
***
Take a look..........TOTAL SUCCESS!!!



Perfectly...SILVER. EXACTLY what I NEEDED...
And...here's the little beauty stamped (screen stamp studio490, page 12 of the supplement) with Ranger's black pigment ink...heat dried and then I bent the petals.

Take a closer look...Perfect coverage...and the bending does not affect the silver. It doesn't flake off.



Well...since that worked...I can't stop now...
*
How about some PEARL MIXATIVE???

I applied just a tiny bit, to create a mottled sort of look. I didn't want it completely covered...I like this look.... I think I'll add some new DISTRESS STICKLES...just as soon as my order arrives.
(I HOPE it's soon...I hope someone from RANGER is reading...hint!)
Just a little on the ends of the petals ...I think that will be cool.
*
So here are some tips to get you playing...
*
1. I always work on my Ranger Craft sheet when using Alcohol Inks...actually...who am I kidding?? I can not work without that craft sheet any day. It's always out & ready to be used.
*
2. Using the alcohol ink applicator...with FELT...add a few drops of the chosen alcohol ink colors & pounce on the metal flower. It dries in just a few seconds. This is GREAT for those of use who are not patient...
*
3. I completely covered the flower with just 2 drops of the silver mixative. (SHAKE before using). A little goes a long way. If you mix it with the alcohol inks...use just ONE drop.
Take it from me...ONE DROP!
*
4. Don't like what you did??? Color not a match for your project?? NO PROBLEM...
*
A few drops of Alcohol blending solution on a paper towel will completely remove all the ink. You are left with the original flower...in perfect condition & it's all ready to be inked again.
*
Another use for the blending solution?? It's THE PERFECT cleaner for the craft sheet. A few drops on a paper towel...swipe...nice & clean!
*
Just a warning...
You WILL be seeing plenty of SILVER flowers now...
You can bet on it!
*
Make ART!
wendy

8 comments:

Sherri said...

Definitely something fun to play with. Thanks for sharing. It's got to be about 85 here today. A little too warm for this time of year.

D's Paper Studio said...

Our LSS just received the mixatives, but they did not order the distress sticles which is something else I want. this is a cool tutorial. Thanks Wendy.

Katie Watson said...

OK, I knew you were a nurse...but I didn't know you were a chemist!

Ann said...

OK, this is just too cool. I have so many "old" metal embellishments in my stash... Now I need to play!

Scrapthat said...

Very cool Wendy! Thanks for sharing your experimenting with us!
:0)
Dolly

Stampin_Melissa said...

Great tutorial! Thanks for the wonderful idea of using the alcohol inks like this.

Escape said...

Very cool!! Will have to find some of those flowers out here. MT is sending out my new Distress Stickles this week--woo hoo! Oh.....it's 90 here today. :-)

Lisa Pace said...

So cool I can hardly stand it so cool... thanks for the tips!