here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Friday, August 15, 2008

Until the REAL thing comes along...

this will do!

Since I live 70 miles (one way) from the nearest real shopping...and I had this cool embossing folder just sitting there....I had to try this...



I bought the pasta machine when I saw some awesome clay embellishments. But...after purchasing the machine & a BOATLOAD of clay...I decided that I LOVE clay embellishments, but did not enjoy the process of making them. So...this poor pasta machine was banished to the back of the closet...

UNTIL...

you all convinced me that I need the Cuttlebug...so I tried this...

And, as you can see...SUCCESS!! I used the #2 setting & the folder went thru just fine.


Just a little Black Soot lightly swiped over the embossed area...COOL!

I'm off to try it on some Maya Road sheers and some studio 490 stamped grungeboard. Sounds like a fun experiment...

UPDATE after playing...#2 setting works GREAT with the Maya Road sheers...

The #1 setting embosses grungeboard....hmmm...now to try some metal...

The dust can stay for another day...embossing is FUN!
UPDATE #2...check out this MR birdie...I LOVED him before... but look how cute he is now...
I WILL be owning EVERY embossing folder VERY SOON...
Kathy B...I see now why you already do!!
And a warning...anything that's not mobile in studio 490 has a good chance of being run thru the pasta machine. Beware!

Happy weekend!
Make the most of it!!
wendy

19 comments:

Jenna Franklin said...

Yayyy! Thanks for playing with this for us - now a pasta machine I DO have! Darn it. A store that sells the embossing folders I DON'T, lol! At least it's not 70 miles for me though! Only about 30. Still annoyed they closed my Hobby Lobby though!

Karen said...

You made me laugh! But I like my homemade pasta too much to take it out of the kitchen. :)

borcherding said...

LOL! This post totally cracked me up! What one doesn't do for ART!!! Have a great weekend!!

Margie Higuchi said...

Now that's using your noodle! LOL!! Sorry...bad pun :0)

What a great idea...and the stuff that went through the machine is GREAT!

I'm sure Deb & Caroline will laugh when they see this post! I can see it now...all MR DTs will be using the pasta machine! LOL!

Have a great weekend! xoxoxo

lori said...

wendy,
that is toooo funny.. i guess it just goes to show that necessity is the mother invention!! but beware... i am pretty sure that cuttlebug does not want you getting this message out!!! there goes all of your chances of being on their design team!! ;)

have a great weekend and thanks for sharing your discovery!!

KAT said...

See Wendy we KNEW that you would love those embossing folder... Not try putting some ink on one side and running the baby through.... You'll Oh and Aw again!!! (just make sure you use a dye based ink and wash your folder right away...)
Have fun playin!!!

Wishful Thinking said...

LOL ... how clever of you :-) Actually I was surprised to see your pasta machine wasn't painted black! heehee Love what you have created. Look forward to seeing more.

Linda M. Cain said...

Yes! And if you look at Cheryl's video they show you how to use the cutting machines with the soft metal. It's almost sinfully easy! And the clay makers do make sheets that run throught the pasta machine that emboss fairly well, too.

Happy Week End!
Linda Cain

Dymphie said...

This is totrally cool! thanks for sharing :)

T's Creations said...

A member of a Norwegian Rubber Stamping Discussion board used a pasta machine April 2006 for QK dies. :)
I'll let them know of this tip too! :-)

BaileyZimmerman said...

Now look what you've done....I have to Google Embossing Folder...Cuttlebug.....
I love the reslults but I don't understand the terms!!

I'm off to Google....thanks for showing us your great results!

Bailey
http://baileyzimmerman.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Whoohoo! Wendy got bit by the Cuttlebug! You're so smart trying out your pasta machine - how cool that it worked so well for you.

I remember my first embossing folder (now I have all of them!) and the WOW! I felt when I saw the end result. At a class earlier this week, I showed two gals the folders for the first time and they were bit too!! SO fun!

Great projects, as always, my friend!!

Sue Lui said...

This is so funny and creative!! Who would've thought to use a pasta machine as an embossing tool but you're right! It works!!

D's Paper Studio said...

When I saw the pasta machine I could not stop laughing. That's inovation at it's finiest. I love it.

Linda Beeson said...

OK, so I also think I need almost every embossing folder but I sure wouldn't have thought of a pasta machine to go with them! Great idea!

GREETJE said...

Of to town to buy a pastamachine LOL Thanks for sharing.
We can buy your stamps in Holland.
Art en Journey have them in the online store.
Thanks

ANNETTE HUSBAND said...

G'day Wendy
I just found your blog and love it and your gorgeous creations.I adore the bug and make textured collage cards with mine(not always using cardstock only either)so this post appealed to me LOL.
cheers
Annette In Australia

Carole N. said...

I belong to a Yahoo group and was told I could use my pasta machine to emboss as I don't own a Cuttlebug.
One of our members shared the link to your blog.
Yeah for you for being so creative and for letting me know that it does work. I will be running paper and not pasta through mine. LOL
My husband would say since I don't use it for pasta I may as well use it for my crafts. LOL
Thanks for sharing and sending big hugs!

C. Franz said...

Wish I had known this before I purchased the other machine, much less expensive. Thank you for sharing. I'm curious of what gauge of metal you did?